WELCOME

HELLO! !!

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Making Use of the Windows Key in Windows 7


Now that I know to use the Windows key to lock my screen, I thought I should poke around and see what else it can do. The answer turns out to be “lots!”
Win – all by itself – brings up the “Start” menu.


My favorite: Win + P pops up a Projection window that makes it at least a little clearer what you’re choosing…you know the drill…hmmm, is it fn +F7 to see it on both computer and screen, or is it just F7 or is it fn +F8…I can never remember. This at least provides a little visual guidance, and “Win +P” is a little more in keeping with Mac philosophy of making something memorable about the letter choice. I can – probably – remember that “project” starts with “P.” I hope. Here’s how it looks:



 
Win + Home minimizes all the non-active applications, giving me the illusion of an organized workspace.

Win+Shift+Left Arrow and Win+Shift+Right Arrow moves windows from one monitor to another. I’m a dual monitor junkie – I’d have 3 or 4 if I could – so this one gets a workout.
Win + F opens Windows search (“Find”)

And of course we remember that Win+D displays the Desktop

Those are the ones that interest me. Some that may interest you:
Win R is Run dialog box (I swear I don’t even know what this means)
Win M is Minimize all
SHIFT + Win+M will undo minimize all
Win TAB: Cycle through taskbar buttons
Win
+F1 takes you to Help. They jumped the tracks here. Why not ” Win + H”?
Win E takes you to that useless spot with the confusing name: Windows Explorer
CTRL Win TAB: Moves focus from Start, to the Quick Launch toolbar, to the system tray (at this point, I’m not even listening anymore)
Win Break: System Properties dialog box

No comments:

Post a Comment